We are so grateful to you for visiting our alternative wedding list page, where you can make a donation to Stoke Mandeville Spinal Research instead of kindly buying a gift for our wedding.
Since Simon's cousin, Jamie, was injured in a diving accident 15 years ago, we have seen how the complications of spinal cord injury can have a huge impact on quality of life in addition to the inherent lack of mobility that comes with paralysis.
Stoke Mandeville Spinal Research directs all its efforts into tackling the day to day complications of spinal cord injury. For instance, they are trialing a new vaccine that could prevent urinary tract infections in people with spinal cord injury; they are testing a new glove that gives people with limited hand function the ability to grasp objects without help; and they are creating a new space to trial activity based rehabilitation that can stimulate muscle and tissue function to prevent pressure ulcers and improve wellbeing.
To help you choose the perfect gift, here is a list that might help:
- £50 could pay for a questionnaire to evaluate an individuals' experiences of urinary tract infections
- £100 could pay for a month's probiotic vaccine to prevent UTIs
- £150 could pay for a highly sensitive diagnostic tool to evaluate neuropathic pain
- £300 could pay for a pair of electro-stimulation shorts to prevent pressure ulcers
- £500 could pay a fully inclusive software package which enables comprehensive data analysis across all research tasks
- *Any Amount Donation* could support the charity's development of a new Human Rehabilitation Lab which would test Activity Based Rehabilitation and Functional Electrical Stimulation in order to improve muscle and tissue function, stimulate blood flow, and improve wellbeing and quality of life for people living with spinal cord injury
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and you will receive an acknowledgement to know it is safe. Thank you so much for your support.