A note about how this fundraising for The Candlelighters Trust came about from his dad:-
My little boy Alfie, who is 3, has been diagnosed with leukaemia.
We took him to the doctors on Monday 16th of January 2012. We were then referred to the Leeds General Infirmary on Monday afternoon. He was seen by several consultants and by Monday evening he was admitted to the Oncology ward 79 in the Clarendon wing. On Tuesday morning we were told he had Leukaemia and by Tuesday afternoon he had started Chemo.
Candle Lighters are a locally based, locally staffed and locally run charity. They support children and their families in Yorkshire suffering with Cancer. Candle Lighters paid for a playroom on the ward, staff to run it, the dinner ladies, nurses etc. However, it is not open all the time because the government will not fund it and Candle Lighters only have limited resources.
So it’s fair to say that someone you know or know of will have probably benefited from their sterling efforts.
Please Dig Deep and Give What You Can.
Shortly after Alfie was diagnosed, it was quickly decided, that something would need to be done in order to help raise funds for this incredible cause.
- Taking part in Doncaster 10k was decided upon. Initially there was interest from a few individuals and the fundraising target of £10,000 was set. This is where ’10k 4 Alfie’ came from! The total grew, as did the number of participants and on 13 May 2012, fifty of Alfie’s friends and family took part in, and completed the 10km race. Through tireless training and sponsorship in excess of £20,000 was raised for the cause
Ian Connor, Gary Fox, Sam Smith, Sue Fox, Denny Maude, Paul Stoneman, Phil Cuffe, Jessica Fox, Jack Sunderland, Ben Fox, John Bickerdyke, Mark Fox, Tanya Fox, Oliver Barr, Scott Roberts, Rachel Maude, Samantha Williams, Jackie Smith, Sue Davis, John Gibbons, Sean Gibbons, Mannix Bailey, Mark Chandler, Jon Kinsey, Jamie Kelly, Linzi Clark, Tina Firth, Chris Firth, Charli Lister, Darren Holdsworth, Connor Holdsworth, Vincent Carroll, Stephen Fisher, Cisco Sandoval, Greg McDougall, James Horsman, Ben Thornton, Andrew Betteridge, Garry Cooper, Darren Burnley, Steve Lewis, Ade Lee, Emma Lee, Lizzy Lee, Jack Dyminski, Josh Rooney, Ben Sanderson, Debbie Wagman, Reece Sanderson, Aiden Tingle
- Further to the 10k 4 Alfie, a number of other people have participated in, and organised fundraising for the cause, this includes everything from a formal ball to a bun sale or two!
- On Saturday May 19 2012, a group of Alfie's mums close friends organised a charity ball in aid of The Candlelighters Trust. Thanks to the hard work of those involved, and the generosity of everyone in attendance, a truly breathtaking amount of £19,423 was raised some of which has been donated directly onto the site, the majority has gone directly to this wonderful cause.
Thankyou to everyone that made this happen and for a fantastic evening.
- Carley Sanderson successfully completed 13k in Australia for Alfie!
- Jay Morgan is unable to run the Doncaster 10k and so has entered himself into the Great North Run on Sept 16th as an alternative! He will be joined in this event by Jack Sunderland who has already completed the 10km run.
- Woodhall Rainbows and Brownies raised a fantastic £76.85 from an event they held which went directly to Candlelighters.
-Brent Webb of The Leeds Rhinos donated his Man Of The Match award directly to Candlelighters.
-The Carroll Cleaning Company Ltd has donated £50 offline to the 10k4Alfie Cause.
- The First Group has donated a whopping £2000 offline to the 10k4Alfie Cause.
- Green Flag Pudsey held a dress down day and raised £142.42.
- Parcelforce Wakefield held a fundraising day for Candlelighters and raised a fantastic £421.50
- Margret Perkins, Auntie to one of the runners, John Gibbons arranged a collection in place of flowers at the funeral of Lily Gibbons and raised £265 which has been donated to the cause.
- John Gibbons collected a fantastic £700 in sponsor money which was added to the offline donations.
- Stella Gibbons, along with everyone at St Nicholas Church at Gipton held a jubilee afternoon with buns, raffles and other fundraising activities – raising a total of £710 which has been added to the offline donations.
- Stella Gannon held a bun sale and raised £30 which was added to the offline donations.
- Garforth Villa held a gala and raised £1750 which has been added to the offline donations and has gone directly to Candlelighters.
- Cathy Bell ran a tombola and raised £123.50 which has been added to the offline donations.
- Kind Donations From Staff, Parents & Pupils from Lily's school - Primrose Hill Primary School in Pudsey raised £257.29 which has been added to the offline donations.
- Deeva Indian Restaurant hosted a charity night with a buffet, DJ and raffle. Thanks to everyone that attended on the night, and those that helped organise the event, a total of £735 was raised and added to the offline donations.
- Porsche Strasse In Leeds Raised £2001.50 at their Porsche Club Day at Lotherton Hall. Huge Thankyou to all involved. This kind donation has been added to the offline donations.
- Jack Sunderland & Jay Morgan both completed the Great North Run on Sunday 16th September and raised in excess of £700
- £200 Was donated from The Community Life Fund at Asda Morley
- Thanks to Jason Smith, who raised £350 by successfully completing the Liverpool Marathon!
- Lily's School, Pudsey Primrose Hill Primary, raised a fantastic £557.33 from a selection of christmas concerts and singing at their local Asda. A Fantastic effort, thankyou to everyone that was involved!
- Lily and Alfie's School have been at it again! £428.76 was collected from parents during their 2013 Christmas performances, another staggering amount so close to Christmas. A Huge thankyou and a Happy New Year to everyone that made it possible.
- Pudsey Primrose Hill Primary School have been at it again! £24.04 was raised from hand made worry dolls and fruit kebabs. Keep it coming guys!
- Porsche Strasse in Leeds have been at it again! This time around, a staggering £4500.98 was raised at their annual club day at Lotherton Hall and added onto the growing offline donations. Huge thanks to everyone that attended and organised the event for making such a donation possible.
- Jessica Fox & Chris Tully jumped out of a perfectly good plane on Saturday 30th May as part of a Candlelighters charity skydive and raised £1500. Congratulations and Well Done!
- The 'Plumbcall Pedalling Plodders' are embarking on summer 2015 with a trio of fundraising challenges. On Sunday 10th May a group of 10 took on and completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. On the weekend of the 13th & 14th June a group of 13 cycled from Liverpool to Leeds along the 127mile canal route. And finally, during bank holiday weekend of 30th August, a group of 8 set out to complete the National Three Peaks Challenge in a time of under 24 hours! Unfortunately due to some extreme weather on Ben Nevis the group took a little longer than expected, completing the challenge in 27 hours.
- The offline donations have grown yet again with the addition of £4002.50 raised by the annual club day for Porsche Strasse in Leeds. This takes their total contribution to over £10,000! Amazing commitment to the cause!
- Pudsey Primrose Hill Primary School collected another £435.02 for the cause through their 2015 Christmas performances.